Favourite Quotes

Samuel

Administrator
Staff member
Verified
Catholic

Do you have any favourite quotes from sound Catholic authors? Any passages from the writings of the saints that made a lasting impression on you? Any wise words that you think other Catholics might find useful?

Let this thread be a collection of such quotes and short snippets. If possible, please include the reference so people can find out more from the work and/or author you quoted from.

ReginaClareJane

Verified
Catholic

The only book that is of any help to me now is the Gospel, and in it I shall find all that I need. I hear Our Lord telling me the one thing I have to do: "Learn of Me, because I am meek and humble of heart," and this brings the peace that He has promised: "and you shall find rest to your souls" (Matt. xi, 29).

- St. Therese of Lisieux, Novissima Verba

Elisa

Verified
Catholic

Splinters from the Cross

Little headaches, little heartaches, little griefs of every day.

Little trials and vexations, how they throng around our way!

One great cross, immense and heavy, so it seems to our weak will,

Might be borne with resignation, but these many small ones kill.

Yet all life is formed of small things, little leaves, make up the trees,

Many tiny drops of water, blending, make the mighty seas.

Let us not then by impatience, mar the beauty of the whole,

But for love of Jesus bear all, in the silence of our soul.

Asking Him for grace sufficient, to sustain us through each loss,

And to treasure each small offering, as a splinter from His Cross.

– Author Unknown –

ReginaClareJane

Verified
Catholic

Splinters from the Cross

Little headaches, little heartaches, little griefs of every day.

Little trials and vexations, how they throng around our way!

One great cross, immense and heavy, so it seems to our weak will,

Might be borne with resignation, but these many small ones kill.

Yet all life is formed of small things, little leaves, make up the trees,

Many tiny drops of water, blending, make the mighty seas.

Let us not then by impatience, mar the beauty of the whole,

But for love of Jesus bear all, in the silence of our soul.

Asking Him for grace sufficient, to sustain us through each loss,

And to treasure each small offering, as a splinter from His Cross.

– Author Unknown –

Oh, I so liked this, Elisa. Thank you for sharing!

Ginny D

Verified
Catholic

I found this prayer a couple of weeks ago. Hope it is not too long...

I am involved in homeschooling my children at secondary level and this proves to be a daily intellectual challenge.

Hard as it is to admit, it remains an undeniable fact that my body is over 50 years old and while at first it came as a surprise, I am now forced to accept that, even I, am succumbing to the aging process. This prayer is a comfort and a blessing and you will find it on page 35 of Fr. Chad Ripperger's book 'Deliverance Prayers for Use by the Laity'.

Into thy hands , Mary, I commend my body and my soul. I ask thee to provide for them and to protect them. I ask thee to protect them from the evil one. I ask thee to enlighten my mind, strengthen my will, and refrain my appetites by grace. Our Lady and St. Michael, call down from Heaven the legions of angels under your command to protect me; I ask of thee all the things I ask of my guardian Angel. My guardian angel, under thy intellectual and volitional protection I place my body. I ask thee to illumine my mind and refrain my appetites. I ask thee to strengthen my cogitative power, (I add 'and cognitive power'), my memory and my imagination. Help me to remember the things I should and not remember the things I should not. Help me to associate the things I should and not to associate the things I should not. Give me good clear images in my imagination. I ask thee to drive away all the demons that might affect me while I sleep (or throughout the course of the day). (Help me to sleep and, if thou should deem it prudent, direct my dreams. Help me to arise refreshed). Amen.

Rachel

Verified
Catholic

A good reminder of why we are here and the important things we should focus on each day...

Remember Christian soul that thou hast, this day and every day of thy life :

God to glorify

Jesus to imitate

The Angels and Saints to invoke

A soul to save

A body to mortify

Sins to expiate

Virtues to acquire

Hell to avoid

Heaven to gain

Eternity to prepare for

Time to profit by

Neighbours to edify

The world to despise

Devils to combat

passions to subdue

Death perhaps to suffer

And Judgement to undergo

~ Author unknown ~

Carmel

Verified
Catholic

Sounds like plenty to keep us busy! It is good to be reminded what we should be working on. I think it would be a good meditation to help with examining our consciences.

Ginny D

Verified
Catholic

Have discussed 'happiness' before but thinking about 'joy', here's what Abbot Marmion has to say:

Joy is the sentiment that is born in a soul, conscious of the good it possesses. The good of our intelligence is truth; the more this truth is abundant and luminous, the deeper is our inward joy.

And found these lines as part of a prayer of St Louis De Montfort:

...O Virgin blessed above all things! Let thy soul be in me to magnify the Lord; let thy spirit be in me to re-joy-ce in God.

ReginaClareJane

Verified
Catholic

I read this today from my book, Just for Today- Daily Readings from St. Thérèse of Lisieux & The Imitation of Christ. It speaks so much to me of what I must do in these particular times. St. Thérèse says in her Histoire d'une âme:

Our Lord has given me the grace not to shrink from waging a just war; whatever happens I must do my duty. I take refuge, then, in prayer, and turn to Mary, and Our Lord always triumphs. My strength lies in prayer and sacrifice; they are invincible weapons, and touch hearts more surely than words can do, as I have learnt by experience.

Samuel

Administrator
Staff member
Verified
Catholic

Just as, in the natural and corporal generation of children, there is a father and a mother, so in the supernatural and spiritual generation there is a Father, who is God, and a Mother, who is Mary. All the true children of God, the predestinate, have God for their Father, and Mary for their Mother. He who has not Mary for his Mother, has not God for his Father. This is the reason why the reprobate, such as heretics, schismatics, and others, who hate our Blessed Lady, or regard her with contempt and indifference, have not God for their Father, however much they boast of it, simply because they have not Mary for their Mother. For if they had her for their Mother, they would love and honour her as a true and good child naturally loves and honours the mother who has given him life.

— Saint Louis de Montfort, True Devotion to Mary

ReginaClareJane

Verified
Catholic

It still astounds me how many non-Catholics do not honor Mary, They relegate her to a non-person in the Bible, more a vessel that was used and then thrown away. They literally hate her, as the Saint says above. This quote could not be more relevant to today's society.