Quizzes to a Street Preacher, Hell

Heloisa

Catholic

This is an excellent read for all Catholics - and others. Good enough for me to buy a full copy of the books by Fathers Rumble and Carty, from which I suspect this is an extract.

Samuel

Administrator
Staff member
Verified
Catholic

For those who don't know these classics yet, the full set is called Radio Replies and are available from many online bookstores, as for example Tan Books. You can also read the whole set online at radioreplies.info. They are indeed a great resource for any Catholic wanting to defend their Faith and bring non-Catholics to reason.

Heloisa

Catholic

----I think this was one of the best things I have read! Very appropriate for Lent!-----

Interestingly, although this article firmly argues the existence of Hell and the very real danger of ending up there, it also gives a lot of hope to those of us who have family members, relatives and friends who have fallen away from The Faith and its practice.

From reading online over a few years, it appears that there are many who have been taught or have read that dying in mortal sin is the cause of condemnation, but haven't, however, any idea about the conditions necessary, i.e. grave matter, knowledge and full consent. This is strange, given that the same people often seem knowledgeable about other areas of the Faith.

Some people seem to think they are in danger of 'falling' into hell accidentally at the drop of a hat, but the reality is, as it says here 'None but deliberately willed and unrepented mortal sin meets with eternal punishment.', and the three conditions above must be met. The two ends of the spectrum: those who embrace the current abolition of Hell and those who think everyone's going to Hell for mortal sins they don't even know they've committed. I confess I spent many years in the middle: never thought Hell didn't exist but thought mortal sin consisted of murder and a few other really bad things, all involving violence, I think. Not that I thought about it much anyway. I certainly had no idea I was committing mortal sins.

There is a great need for these well-written and very readable and faithful old texts to be much more available in the present times.

Is this comment too long for this site?

Samuel

Administrator
Staff member
Verified
Catholic

@Heloisa ,

Thank you for your comment (no, it's not too long for this site at all).

Knowing people on both ends of the spectrum I'm not sure which end is worse, those who don't believe in hell and mortal sin, or those who see mortal sin everywhere. As is often the case, if the devil cannot push you over the left side, he will try and push you over the right side.

For those who see mortal sin everywhere I think a good antidote would be to read about Perfect Contrition:

How to Make an Act of Perfect Contrition

Contrition, The Golden Key of Paradise

I believe perfect contrition is incompatible with mortal sin, so anyone who can master the act of perfect contrition needn't worry about "accidental" or forgotten mortal sins on their conscience.

Heloisa

Catholic

@Heloisa ,

==========For those who see mortal sin everywhere I think a good antidote would be to read about Perfect Contrition:

How to Make an Act of Perfect Contrition

Contrition, The Golden Key of Paradise

I believe perfect contrition is incompatible with mortal sin, so anyone who can master the act of perfect contrition needn't worry about "accidental" or forgotten mortal sins on their conscience. ===========

Thank you, Samuel, for those two links. This is an excellent site for reading - just the text

Heloisa

Catholic

Sorry, my last comment posted itself before I'd finished writing it! This is an excellent site for reading, having just the text in simple format and on various different issues. One can't buy or read all books in full and it's difficult to pick and choose which might be suitable - I've already got a couple I wish I hadn't bothered buying. So I'm thinking of starting a collection of these articles. Is it OK to photocopy articles? Is it easier to ask it if there are any texts which I'm not able to copy? Thank you.

Samuel

Administrator
Staff member
Verified
Catholic

Sorry, my last comment posted itself before I'd finished writing it! This is an excellent site for reading, having just the text in simple format and on various different issues. One can't buy or read all books in full and it's difficult to pick and choose which might be suitable - I've already got a couple I wish I hadn't bothered buying. So I'm thinking of starting a collection of these articles. Is it OK to photocopy articles? Is it easier to ask it if there are any texts which I'm not able to copy? Thank you.
You can copy/print/publish anything you find useful on this site. Nothing belongs to me only. The more people we can reach the better. Let me know if you want any help formatting and converting articles to PDF format.

Heloisa

Catholic

======You can copy/print/publish anything you find useful on this site. Nothing belongs to me only. The more people we can reach the better. Let me know if you want any help formatting and converting articles to PDF format.======
Thank you for that information, Samuel. I'll keep them in paper format and file them for easier reading later!